Monday, October 12, 2015

The Awakening of Miss Prim: Review and Recommendation

I have another review for you. I read this book about a year ago and just recently re-read it. Unlike my mother and sisters I am a notorious re-reader. So much so that I often find myself stuck in a reading rut...not that I'm ever very concerned about getting out. ;)

Anyway the book of the moment is called: "The Awakening of Miss Prim". As always here is the synopsis as listed on Amazon:

"Prudencia Prim is a young woman of intelligence and achievement, with a deep knowledge of literature and several letters after her name. But when she accepts the post of private librarian in the village of San Ireneo de Arnois, she is unprepared for what she encounters there. Her employer, a book-loving intellectual, is dashing yet contrarian, always ready with a critique of her cherished Jane Austen and Louisa May Alcott. The neighbors, too, are capable of charm and eccentricity in equal measure, determined as they are to preserve their singular little community from the modern world outside.

Prudencia hoped for friendship in San Ireneo but she didn't suspect that she might find love—nor that the course of her new life would run quite so rocky or would offer challenge and heartache as well as joy, discovery, and fireside debate. Set against a backdrop of steaming cups of tea, freshly baked cakes, and lovely company, The Awakening of Miss Prim is a distinctive and delightfully entertaining tale of literature, philosophy, and the search for happiness."

If I had to name my favorite book, and if you exempted any of Tolkien's works, then I would say that Miss Prim is my favorite. I don't know quite how to explain this little book, particularly without spoiling anything. The synopsis is very polite and sounds very cute but it doesn't even scratch the surface of this book. Like my other loves, this book has incredible hidden gems in it. For example the conversations, dare I compare, can be seen as the modern equivalent to Emma Woodhouse and Mr. Knightley's debates. (I know that this is said of many books but(!) I am one of those people that will correct this description if it doesn't live up to snuff on Austen's caliber. But conversation wise, as I said, I think it is a fair comparison in this modern age.) Miss Prim has a substance that creates material for wonderful conversation and debates of your own. I have always been drawn to clever things, (hence a love for the Scarlet Pimpernel) and this book is clever, charming and unexpected. After re-reading it I still found things that I hadn't noticed my first time through. Which is rather rare for me as I am usually very keen on details. Part of its extraordinary charm is its size. It wouldn't take you more than a day to read, two at the most. Therefore, I insist that if you are in the market for a clever autumn read, an intriguing romance or something to kidnap you in your little free time, I expect you to remember this favorite of mine.

Happy reading.

Yours truly,
Cordy

P.S. If you want the entire book to be a mystery...stop reading here until after you have read Miss Prim. Are you still reading? Don't!
A quirk about this book, that I am reluctant to share, the quirk not the book, is that the man of interest is not given a name and is only identified as "The Man in the Wing Chair". So, if you would be so kind, after you have read this delightful book I would ask you to check back in and not only share your thoughts but also tell me what you named the gentleman.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell me whatcha thinkin!

If your comment doesn't appear immediately don't worry! I moderate my comments so check back in a few days and you might find it!

Don't misunderstand my moderating. I am trying to contain and avoid unsavory comments and spammers. This does not include those who disagree with me, only those that are unable to state their disagreement agreeably. I have already said that I would enjoy different opinions.

So please, do comment!

P.S. I don't mind comments on old posts. :D

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...