1) Your current three (or up to five!) favorite period dramas?
Umm, well first, thank you for saying current. These things do change you know. The 2008 Sense and Sensibility, The Scarlet Pimpernel (w/ Anthony Andrews), Pride and Prejudice (1995), North and South, Jane Eyre (1983). Not in order, and again, this is just the current thought.
2) What would you recommend to someone who’s never seen a period drama as a starter?
The Scarlet Pimpernel I was just referring to. It's excellent fun! Not as grand as the book, but it would be a nice place to start and spark an interest!
3) A favorite couple that wouldn’t be included in answer #1 (cause I’m figuring those are already top favorites ;)) and/or a favorite secondary character romance?
Oh, this is difficult...hmmm, my mind is drawing a huge blank...I may or may not come back to this...
4) What do you consider foundational qualities for a healthy romance?
Communication and trust for starters. If you are lacking in either, it is very difficult to get anywhere now isn't it?
3) A favorite couple that wouldn’t be included in answer #1 (cause I’m figuring those are already top favorites ;)) and/or a favorite secondary character romance?
Oh, this is difficult...hmmm, my mind is drawing a huge blank...I may or may not come back to this...
4) What do you consider foundational qualities for a healthy romance?
Communication and trust for starters. If you are lacking in either, it is very difficult to get anywhere now isn't it?
5) Worst villain/antagonist?
I'm going to go a non-traditional route and while he isn't the "worst of the worst" he's up there...Uriah Heep from David Copperfield. The name itself is horrid, and the character isn't much better I can assure you! Dickens has quite a collection of villains that really are miserable to say the least.
6) A favorite proposal scene?
The one from the 1996 Emma. It makes me all kinds of happy. :D And then there's North and South. Yes, I'm choosing two, agree with me on both and just move on. ;)
7) Favorite period drama characters based on a real life couple?
Uhhh, I don't know if this qualifies, in fact I'm fairly certain it might not but, uhhh, James and Sylvia from Finding Neverland? <3 Yes, not entirely accurate and true to reality, but it's the idea of them and the story that counts I think.
8) Any classic b/w period dramas you like?
I wish I could say yes, but they have so many odd inaccuracies sometimes that they just rub me the wrong way.
9) Most mature romance in a period drama? (mature as in age and/or characters who are consciously and wisely ripened by life experience, etc.)
Well, there's Mr. and Mrs. Weston from Emma, as well as Sarah and Jacob from Sarah, Plain and Tall. At least those are the two that sprang to mind.
10) Most excruciatingly long, slow burn romance in a period drama?
Molly and Roger in Wives and Daughters. I have a love hate relationship in regards to their relationship honestly.
I'm going to go a non-traditional route and while he isn't the "worst of the worst" he's up there...Uriah Heep from David Copperfield. The name itself is horrid, and the character isn't much better I can assure you! Dickens has quite a collection of villains that really are miserable to say the least.
6) A favorite proposal scene?
The one from the 1996 Emma. It makes me all kinds of happy. :D And then there's North and South. Yes, I'm choosing two, agree with me on both and just move on. ;)
7) Favorite period drama characters based on a real life couple?
Uhhh, I don't know if this qualifies, in fact I'm fairly certain it might not but, uhhh, James and Sylvia from Finding Neverland? <3 Yes, not entirely accurate and true to reality, but it's the idea of them and the story that counts I think.
8) Any classic b/w period dramas you like?
I wish I could say yes, but they have so many odd inaccuracies sometimes that they just rub me the wrong way.
9) Most mature romance in a period drama? (mature as in age and/or characters who are consciously and wisely ripened by life experience, etc.)
Well, there's Mr. and Mrs. Weston from Emma, as well as Sarah and Jacob from Sarah, Plain and Tall. At least those are the two that sprang to mind.
10) Most excruciatingly long, slow burn romance in a period drama?
Molly and Roger in Wives and Daughters. I have a love hate relationship in regards to their relationship honestly.
11) A story that has multiple film adaptations where you love more than one of them?
Uhhh, Emma, Sense and Sensibility...and I think that is all. For the most part, I pick favorites, and those favorites trump the other's out of my liking. Hahaha.
12) A book you think needs to be made into a film (or a new adaptation)?
Uhhh, Emma, Sense and Sensibility...and I think that is all. For the most part, I pick favorites, and those favorites trump the other's out of my liking. Hahaha.
12) A book you think needs to be made into a film (or a new adaptation)?
THE SCARLET PIMPERNEL! I need a version that follows the book ending, please and thank you!! And I wouldn't object to the Blue Castle while they're at it!
Well, that's a small evenings worth of work. I enjoyed myself very much and can only hope I was in some way amusing to you all as well. Anyway, I'm off!
Yours truly,
Cordy

My husband says that if HE had been a character in The Scarlet Pimpernel, he would have chopped his head off just because he was so annoying. It seems I've married Chauvelin. Hmm.
ReplyDeleteOh, Sarah and Jacob! I love the Sarah, Plain and Tall movies. And books. SO good.
I agree with you about having favourites that trump other adaptions out of my liking. Very true.
ReplyDeleteAlso *whispers*, I read the book a little while ago, but I'm struggling to remember... how DID the book Scarlet Pimpernel end, again?
Fun answers!
ReplyDeleteI love seeing the Sarah movies, Finding Neverland, The Scarlet Pimpernel, and Wives and Daughters get some attention!
Uriah Heep is my favorite fictional name of all time because just hearing that name gives you a perfect feel for his character! Dickens was great with names all around, but that takes the cake.
ReplyDeleteYour answers are amusing. ;) Thank you for joining in!
ReplyDeleteYes indeed, I'm not sure if his villainy can ever be adequately caught on screen but Uriah Heep is one of the worst of the worst.
*high fives on your Wives and Daughters answer* (It's beautiful, but.... yup.)
And yes yes YES on both your answers for #12! Accurate and all that, but these need. to. be. done. (Is anyone who could get these underway paying attention out there? Seriously.)