Monday, October 3, 2016

The Degrading Representation of a Pride and Prejudice Character

You know, I've read several posts about the many reasons why the 2005 Pride of Prejudice just doesn't cut it. But today, never fear, I'm not going to mention Lizzy's bizarre hair, I'm not going to mention the weird almost kiss, or how Miss Bingley wore a nightgown to a ball, and I'm not even going to go into the casting choice for Darcy. (Oops, did I just mention all the things I said I wouldn't...hmm.) No, even with all these offences not one of them is as grievous as the casting------------------------- and portrayal -------------- of Mr. Bingley! It is with his role that I find the largest error with this adaption. Mr. Bingley, stated plainly, is an IDIOT in the 2005 adaption of Pride and Prejudice. There are no two ways about it. And yes, in case you couldn't tell, this might be something of a rant post. I'll number the complaints.

1. His hair, is outrageous. 
I mean, what on earth were you thinking? It reminds me of Syndrome from the Incredibles. Want to compare? I don't mind that it's red, I have nothing against red hair. (Weasley twins, anybody?) But the style is eh-no! :P

2. He is a fool! 
Literally. He is so incredibly stupid I mean, this scene:

I could hardly keep my countenance.
I---just---I'm speechless. (Okay not entirely but for a few seconds I was. ;)) Bingley is simple and has easy persuadable manners but he is not so wholly without functioning mental capacity.

3. He swears during his proposal??
Excuse. Me? Every feeling revolts! I don't know when the biblical term for donkey became offensive, so I can't tell how historically accurate it would have been to use such a term at that time. HOWEVER, I hardly consider that sort of language appropriate in a gentleman's language. Especially if he is addressing a lady! You should have said no Jane. In this version at least.

It is fortunate I knew the true Pride and Prejudice before this. . .other offering was ever released. In short, dear readers, this movie left much to be desired. Oh, and I surely cannot be alone in feeling so for, based on their expressions, these two gentleman agree with me.


Now, with Bingley and Darcy on my side, wouldn't it be wise to agree with me? ;D

Yours truly,
Cordy

17 comments:

  1. YEEEESSSSSSSSSSSS. My sentiments exactly. He's a complete idiot. Ugggghhh. I hated watching him; I'm pretty sure I just stared at the screen in horrified silence. Yep.
    And that proposal scene! Why?!
    You basically just said exactly what I think of him. In a perfect way.
    (I always enjoy P&P '05 rants, and I thoroughly enjoyed this one. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, my fellow suffer. He just DOES NOT cut it, does he?! :P

      Delete
  2. YEEEEES! I completely, and utterly agree. I cannot STAND Mr. Bingley in this version. Just. No. He's way too silly. AND THAT IS SO NOT HOW MR. BINGLEY IS SUPPOSED TO BE!!! Grrrrr.

    Yes, yes! Stare them down, Mr. Darcy!! Let them know how very much you disapprove! ;)

    ~Miss March

    P.S. Hey! You changed your profile picture! I like it!! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I KNOW! He's hoooorrible! Hehehe.

      ~Cordy

      P.S. Oh, hey thanks. :D

      Delete
  3. I agree as would all my sisters and mom; we watched this version again together recently. He is just so embarrassing its hard to watch him (I might have been looking away, hiding under a blanket for some of the movie . . . as with Northanger Abbey . . .). This version is very good for a comedy though. We were laughing the whole time. I don't take it seriously as an adaptation anyway. But yes, 1995 Bingley is just such a gentleman.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When I'm embarrassed for a character in book or movie, it's not uncommon for me to smack my face in horror. I HATE secondary embarrassment! :P
      Haha, a comedy it is!

      Delete
  4. YES. YES. YES.

    So much yes. :P His hair is indeed like Syndrome's and he indeed acts like a fool and his proposal was indeed not very sweet or lovely.

    Thank goodness for'95 Bingley. <3

    ps. In case you couldn't tell, I loved this post. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha. :D OH! No, nothing sweet or lovely about it in the least!! :P

      Yes, thank goodness there is a real gentleman to save the day!

      I'm glad you enjoyed it, Natalie! :D

      Delete
  5. I have never seen the 2005 version, but every post I read about it makes me not want to. Everything was okay, I could deal with it, but now this!!! No!!! I just am not going to!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, oops. Well, I will say that it won't kill you, in fact the only thing I like about the movie is the soundtrack. It's fine and dandy, but the movie *shaking head* not so much.

      Delete
  6. How funny that you should post this! I was just telling my friend that I VASTLY prefer Mr. Bingley from the 2005 version than from the 1995. Scandalous, isn't it? ;)

    I can definitely understand the points you're making(minus #1, perhaps, because I rather like his hair), but in the end I still like him a bit better because I never was that attached to the book-Bingley.

    He's dumb and, yes, he does swear during his proposal(okay, that was a little much), but I find his idiocy entertaining, to be honest. :D

    Another thing is that in my first exposure to P&P, a locally produced play, the actor looked very much like the 2005 actor.

    But I do completely see where you're coming from, it's just that I rather like my silly Mr. Bingley. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Reeally? That's fascinating, if not totally scandalous! ;D

      I'm more irritated with the hair because it doesn't seem to fit the period. In another movie, it wouldn't have bothered me so much. And if you aren't as attached to the book Bingley, (as this post is proof, I guess I'm VERY attached, hahaha) then another representation might naturally suit you.

      I too find him entertaining--but perhaps in all the wrong ways... ;)

      I'm so glad there are people with differing opinions, aren't you? Otherwise, the world would be completely frustrating! :D

      Delete
  7. I agree with Meredith on this topic. But this makes me all the more determined to watch the '95 version :D

    Also, I tagged you for the Q & A Tag! I hope you can join in! Here's a link to the post:

    http://imgeekynerdyandproudofit.blogspot.com/2016/10/q-tag-from-nimrodel.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh, yes! You must see both versions before any decisions can be made! ;)

      I'll go check it out! Thanks, Fawnabelle!

      Delete
  8. OH MY WORD CORDY A MILLION TIMES YESYESYES!!! He was actually creeping me out!!!

    Yes that scene was gag worthy XP. His laugh haunts me in the night!!

    And I totally agree about the proposal! Jane totally should have said no *nods head* Yep, yep.

    Spot on Cordy!! This was capital! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He does come off strangely creepy if only because you don't know what you would do with him in reality. :P I'm NOT a fan!

      "His laugh haunts me in the night", that's hilarious. :D

      Thanks, Miss Woodhouse!

      Delete
    2. Haha yeah me neither!

      The '95 Bingley is MUCH better.

      Delete

Tell me whatcha thinkin!

If your comment doesn't appear immediately don't worry! I moderate my comments so check back in a few days and you might find it!

Don't misunderstand my moderating. I am trying to contain and avoid unsavory comments and spammers. This does not include those who disagree with me, only those that are unable to state their disagreement agreeably. I have already said that I would enjoy different opinions.

So please, do comment!

P.S. I don't mind comments on old posts. :D

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...