A Fictional Favorite post will do just that. Highlight or study a particular fictional character.
"Now let's see what we can do." -Lady Harriet
Lady Harriet is my favorite character from "Wives and Daughters". While being a member of the highest family in the area she uses her power not only to her advantage but for the advantage of others as well. Or more to the point, Molly Gibson's advantage. All through both book and movie Lady Harriet shows consistent interest in Molly and finds special ways to help the girl.I want to share a few of my favorite scenes from "Wives and Daughters" that illustrates this point and proves what a wonderful character she is.
For one thing, Mr. Preston doesn't like her and unlike the other women of the hamlet she is not at all impressed or intimidated by him. I love how she irritates Preston while out riding with her father as she pesters the 'gentleman' for answers regarding rumors pairing him and Molly Gibson. I could just stop there...isn't that an achievement in and of itself?
It speaks volumes about Lady Harriet when Molly tells Mr. Preston that if he is determined to smear Cynthia's name then she, Molly, will take the matter to Lady Harriet. The look on Preston's face! Hehehe!
Having brought up her defending Molly shall I recall the time where Lady Harriet, having received what information she needed from Mr. Preston, used her influence in the community to restore Molly Gibson's good name? Leaving her card, and being seen about the town in the company of this 'fallen' woman? Another wonderful scene!
Now, about that notorious haircut! Shall I shock you all? I love it because it's brilliant! This haircut it just one of her special schemes that I spoke of earlier. Is seems as if everyone but Molly and Roger knew about Molly and Roger in "Wives and Daughter" and yet I think that Lady Harriet did the best job and made the biggest sacrifice, her hair(!), to bring the union about. She invites Molly up to the towers, ensures that Molly is looking her best then goes a step further and ensures that she, herself looks drab in comparison. (Don't get me wrong, there are many cute forms of a pixie cut. Emma Watson anyone?)There is not doubt that the hairstyles in the movie are wild but this particular cut always gets the most attention. (While I'm still speaking of hair, Lady Harriet is also one of the only people I have ever seen who can actually pull off that dreadful 'V' part down her head. ;))
What is so wonderful about this character is not that she does these things by chance but she does them by choice. Lady Harriet knew her influence and she knew how to wield it properly and expertly.
If you have not taken the trouble of reading or watching "Wives and Daughters" I would hope that this post has left you with some curiosity to come to know the woman yourself.
Yours truly,
Cordy

Thanks for this! It appears I didn't comment on it when I read it months ago. Oops.
ReplyDeleteI love Lady Harriet. She's just awesome :D I've only read the book once, and I can't remember much about her, book-wise, but the movie is one of my top three favorite period dramas, and SHE IS JUST EPIC.
This is random, but…from the movie, I rather want her and Mr. Preston to end up together. That scene when she confronts him with her father just makes me happy :D
I'm glad you liked.
DeleteIsn't she awesome--err--epic, I mean?! Haha! What are your other favorite period dramas?
I see what you mean and I'm not going to lie, I have had the same thought. :) But I always come back to the fact that he's a jerk.
I LOOOOOOOOVEEEEE Lady Harriet! And Rosamund Pike is an amazing actress. I had never thought of the haircut in that way, but I have always mourned for Lady Harriet's beautiful hair!!
ReplyDeleteMe too!
DeleteOh, don't get me wrong, I miss her hair as well! O_O